School Holiday Form
APPLICATION FOR LEAVE OF ABSENCE DURING TERM TIME
EVERY DAY COUNTS
GOOD ATTENDANCE IN SCHOOL= GOOD PROGRESS
Attached is an application form for you to request permission for your child to be absent from school to take part in an annual family holiday. Before completing the application form, please read these notes carefully:
- The law states that you do not have the right to take your child out of school for holidays during term time. The Local Education Authority works with schools to reduce the numbers of children missing school because of holidays taken in term time and schools can refuse your request to take your child out of school.
- If you wish to take your child on holiday during term time, you must apply for permission in advance in writing using the attached form. Permission for authorised leave of absence may be granted for holidays in special circumstances, totalling no more than two weeks in any school year, unless there are very exceptional circumstances. Please note the school year is from September to July
The Department for Children Schools & Families state that absence for holidays in term time due to the following reasons will not be authorised:
- availability of cheap holidays
- availability of desired accommodation
- poor weather experienced in the school holiday period
- overlap with beginning or end of term
- holidays booked before checking with the school
- day trips
(Keeping Pupil Registers – guidance in applying pupil registration regulations - DCSF September 2006)
- There are certain times of the year when a child may experience extra problems because of missing school. These include examination periods, at the time of starting a new school and at the start of a new school term. In deciding whether to authorise your child’s absence and give permission for a holiday in term time, the school will take these and other factors into account
- If the school refuse your application and you still take your child out of school the absences will be treated as unauthorised. Unauthorised absences may lead to a Penalty Notice or a Summons being issued against you for irregular school attendance.
Having read these notes, if you still wish to apply for a leave of absence for your child to accompany you on holiday during term time then please complete the application attached.
This form should be returned to your child’s school as far in advance of the proposed holiday as possible.
Issued by Nottinghamshire Education Welfare Service October 2008